Adding News to a Campaign
Modified on: Mon, 12 Dec, 2022 at 1:27 PM
Auto Assigning News to a Campaign
You can add news coverage to your campaign to reflect the news pick you receive as a result of your PR efforts. The auto-assign option will allow you to add keywords to the campaign. The keywords will then automatically bring in coverage from your My Coverage monitored news that matches your added keywords.
You have two options for adding keywords to auto-assign news: either when the campaign is created or after the campaign has already been created.
If you are ready to add keywords when you create your campaign, click the arrow in the Auto-Assign section.
If you want to add keywords after creating the Campaign, click the pencil icon next to the Campaign name.
- Both of these options for adding keywords will open a screen that you can use to enter the keywords. Before adding keywords, it is important to note that campaign keywords can only bring in coverage that has already entered your Cision Communications Cloud through your monitoring keywords. Click here to learn more about your monitoring keywords.
- Hover over the “i” icon to get more information about each field in the form.
- Enter your core search term(s) in the “Contains ALL the following keywords”. Core search terms are words or phrases that have to be present in every article to make them relevant. If you enter multiple words or phrases in the “Contains ALL the following keywords”, notice that the system will insert a Boolean “AND” which means that all entered words or phrases in this field must be present in the article for it to be brought in by the search.
- Enter qualifying terms in the “Contains ONE OR MORE of the following keywords field. Qualifiers are terms that “qualify” your search and provide more information about the context in which your key search terms are relevant. The presence of qualifier terms helps ensure that the mentions of your core search terms are relevant to your specific. One or more of your qualifier terms needs to be present in a clip for that clip to be retrieved.
- Add exclusion words and phrases in the “Contains NONE of the following keywords” field. When an exclusion term is present, that takes precedence over everything else. Even if all of your core search terms and qualifiers are found in a clip, if it contains any one of your exclusion terms it will not be brought into a campaign.
- Assign a Start and End date (both required) for the auto-assign feature to start and end running. While the Start date will default to the current date, it can be changed to a future date. (NOTE: While you can set the Start Date as a past date, this will not cause the Campaign to retroactively bring in coverage). Setting the Start date to a time when you anticipate the Campaign coverage to begin appearing in the news is advantageous because you likely won’t want loosely related coverage that mentions your keywords to be counted in the charts prior to the beginning of the Campaign. Assigning an end date is similarly beneficial in eliminating loosely related coverage from the Campaign overview.
- Click Save.
- The Total Mentions and Potential Audience panels of the Campaign Analysis page will automatically update when news is found by your added keywords.
Manually Adding News Coverage to a Campaign
- You can manually add news to your campaign even if you are using the auto-assign news feature. To manually add news,
- Click News
- Click My Coverage to filter through News Coverage from the Past 30 Days or a Saved Search
- Click on Search to find targeted coverage that meets specific criteria that you establish
5. Once you find the coverage that is relevant to your campaign, you can add it individually or in bulk.
To add an individual clip to a campaign,
1. Click on the news item you want to add within the results panel.
2. Click the Add to Campaign button in the news item profile pane.
3. To find the desired campaigns to which you want to add, either scroll through the list or type the name of the campaign in the search box.
4. Select the Campaigns to which you want to add the clip by clicking in their checkbox.
5. Click Save
To add clips in bulk to a campaign,
- Check all of the clips that you would like to add to the campaign
- Click the Add to Campaign button
- Select the Campaign to which you want to add the clip
- Click Save
When you return to the Campaign Performance Page, you will see both the Mentions and Potential Audience updated at the top of the Campaigns Overview page. Additionally, the News and Web Traffic vs Total Mentions charts will be updated.
The following areas of the Campaigns Overview page are updated when News is added:
- Total Mentions includes the total number of news clips added to the Campaign
- Potential Audience reflects the total reach for all clips added to the Campaign
- Web Traffic vs Total Mentions shows the number of news clips by date that have mentioned Campaign relevant terms. If any of the news clips associated with the Campaign have referred web traffic to your Google Analytics tracked site(s), a second series will be present web traffic by date.
- The News Section shows New clips associated with the Campaign by Sentiment Over Time as well as Top Articles by largest volume of Reach. The View All News button at the bottom of this section can be used to see all News associated with the Campaign.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article